Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A good life lived.




I wasn't sure how or if to write this post. But this is a blog of my life as well as my craft, so it must be noted here to reflect back on and to be a huge part of where life goes from here.

On Saturday, June 8, 2013, my dad suddenly passed away.

My stomach is ill typing that. My legs are jittery. It comes and goes in waves. I'm sitting in his chair.

We are in a waiting time at present. And a time of so many family members around with so much love. And laughter. Yes, gut busting laughter. That's how my parent's families are.
 Love and laughter. 
No matter where or when. Any gathering of family will do.
I think I'll carry that outside of myself a little more in future. 
Pass on the laughter and the love.

I'll just let the words of my cousin tell you a bit about him.

  "Art had many great loves in life – first and foremost he was a true family man.  He loved spending time with his family and grandchildren who gave him a lot of joy in his life. He was never short of a warm hug and he loved a good get together. Many happy days were spent at his cabin in MacDougalls with family and friends. Art loved a good heart-to-heart chat, even if it went into the wee hours of the night. He also loved music – a talented drummer in the Newfoundland-famous Ducats for many years, Art kept the beat for everyone on many occasions, whether he was playing the drums, the “ugly” stick or the spoons. He passed that love of music on to his children and grandchildren. He also taught many a budding musician to play the spoons.  Art spent many years as a successful business man and is probably best known for his years at the beloved Donut Shop in Port-Aux-Basques, where he and Judy spent many happy years. Art liked to be a part of his community – he spent many years in the Lions Club, on the town Council and in the Historical Society. Art was a great leader and a kind, generous spirit. He always made time for his friends. He made everyone he knew feel loved and important. 
He was often heard to say “my heart is full.” 
And so are all of ours, because he holds a special place in every one of us. "

We'll be Celebrating his Life today.
And in so many little things as the time goes on. 

Much love to you dad. You were a rock!

6 comments:

  1. Amanda, my heart is also full for all the family, especially for you siblings who have lost your Dad way too soon. I am learning more each day about the wonderful man Art was and is. He will always be big in your heart, and in the hearts of all who had the privilege to know him. Keep those memories alive for his treasures, his grandchildren. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    I am so sorry to read about the sudden loss of your dad. Nothing ever prepares us for losing a parent, and it's even more difficult to deal with if it happens suddenly. I hope, in time, that you'll hurt less and have happy memories.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I am so, so sorry to read this. Wishing you and yours much love and strength in the days to come.

    Hanneke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amanda -- I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Gut-busting laughter can be very helpful at these times, can't it...


    I send you and your family warm thoughts and best wishes as you hold these memories of your dear father close to your hearts.
    mb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO sorry. Oh, my heart just breaks. Holding you in my thoughts and prayers as you navigate this new path of life without your dad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss :(

    ReplyDelete